Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

Serious Chemistry  

All 5 posts   Subject: Route for aromatic substitution on pyridine   Please login to post   Down

Bandil
(The Archetypical "Good Guy")
02-21-04 19:52
No 490187
      Route for aromatic substitution on pyridine     

In the attempt of creating some new anti-psychotics, i need some advice from the chemistry masters smile

I have a 4-chloro-3-amino-pyridine and I have some trouble with an aromatic substitution of the chloro in the 4. position. I know 4-chloro is very reactive in substitution because of different resonance stuctures of the pyridine ring, but it's too reactive in this case unfortunately. I'm using a R-C-N--C-R nucleofile and it has to be less reactive than an imine NH nucleofile( -N=C=(RR). Perhaps using some dynamic reaction conditions, such as low temperatures (-78 oC).

I just nead some advice for some inferior leaving groups for this synthesis, I was pondering using a methoxygroup. A bromo group or other halogens are not useable as they can make a metal-halogen exchance (I'm using a Li-salt of mopholine so halogens aren't possible).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Happy living in spring time to all of you people wink!

Kind regards
Bandil

Nuke the whales!

Nicodem
(Hive Bee)
02-21-04 20:07
No 490189
      Could you please explain a little more.     

Could you please explain a little more. I dont understand exactly so correct me if I'm wrong. If your reaction is 4-chloro-3-amino-pyridine with the N-Li-morpholine then you have to know that the 3-amino group on the pyridine has a much lower pKa than morpholine and the most probable result of such a rection would be the self condenstion of two or more molecules of 4-chloro-3-amino-pyridine (meaning you get something like tar). I think you can't avoid this unless you protect the amine function, but not with just any protection (N-acetylation would make it even more acidic!).

“The real drug-problem is that we need more and better drugs.” – J. Ott

Bandil
(The Archetypical "Good Guy")
02-21-04 20:26
No 490190
      I understand your concern...     

I understand your concern... I have thought of it prior to this wink No need to worry about this issue, as it's a triple substituted amine in the 3. position, so no basic hydrogens on this amine.

Sorry I didn't mention it, guess i have friday fever allready cool

Regards
Bandil

Nuke the whales!

Nicodem
(Hive Bee)
02-22-04 13:17
No 490365
      In such case I don't know what goes wrong.     

In such case I don't know what goes wrong. Maybe your base is way to strong and causes a side rxn (the hydride exchange at the position two yielding 2-hydroxy-pyridine products or something).
It might be worth trying to avoid an extremly strong base like N-Li-morfoline and try to refluxs your chloropyridine in excess morpholine for a day or two (or better yet to follow the rxn with TLC). So, using morpholine as a solvent, base and nucleophile at the same time. Adding some K2CO3 might help a little.

“The real drug-problem is that we need more and better drugs.” – J. Ott

lugh
(Moderator)
02-24-04 01:29
No 490703
      N-Oxide Protective Group     

This article from JACS 76 3527 (1954) provides a means for substitution at the 4 position:

cool

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond

All 5 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org