Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  3 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Server Room  

All 10 posts   Subject: Urgent help needed for anonymity on a LAN   Please login to post   Down

Lestat
(Hive Bee)
08-18-04 00:57
No 525978
User Picture 
      Urgent help needed for anonymity on a LAN     

Hey beez, I've just been having some problems, I have been trying to acheive anonymity, but when I connect, I must do so through a router, as my father has the connection, but I share it for no extra cost.

I have had no success with running a proxy through the LAN on my machine only, I have tried fluching the DNS resolver cache, which has worked for changing the IP address seen at the other site, this has failed to work.

I need some advice on how to change my IP address, and also on going through a proxy server on a LAN, it's pretty urgent, any help would bee greatly appreciated.

Thanks beezwink

Kids, say NO to the DEA!

TheHitMan
(Stranger)
08-18-04 10:38
No 526065
      Depending how you gain IP's, if DCHP is setup,     

Depending how you gain IP's, if DCHP is setup, from the command prompt type in "ipconfig /renew"

To stay anonymous, disconnect from the internet and enjoy that anonymity!

As for using a proxy on your computer that's only going to mask your IP to the router, you need to setup the proxy on the main machine.

Lestat
(Hive Bee)
08-18-04 23:42
No 526135
User Picture 
      I tried ipconfig/renew unfortunately didn't...     

I tried ipconfig/renew unfortunately didn't get me back into the system, unfortunately, setting up a proxy on the main router would get found out fairly soon, as it's my father that owns the router frown

Kids, say NO to the DEA!

TheHitMan
(Stranger)
08-19-04 12:40
No 526291
      It's not all one line, ipconfig /renew There's     

It's not all one line, ipconfig /renew

There's a space after you've typed "ipconfig".

Note, this'll only change your IP, not make you invisible from the internet. Though not totally related, check out this site: http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers/index-mix.html

Lestat
(Hive Bee)
08-19-04 18:07
No 526317
User Picture 
      I knew about the spacing, I just couldn't bee...     

I knew about the spacing, I just couldn't bee bothered typing it here, I use DOS quite a bit for that sort of thing, strangely enough, it doesn't seem to work against all systems, it works on some but not others, some remote hosts still seem to see the same IP address as was there before the DOS command was used.

Kids, say NO to the DEA!

Osmium
(Stoni's sexual toy)
08-19-04 20:08
No 526329
User Picture 
      I wonder how ipconfig /renew is supposed to...     

I wonder how ipconfig /renew is supposed to enhance your privacy? Doesn't make any sense.
What you need is a computer outside of the LAN you can connect to through an encrypted tunnel like SSH or VPN or JAP.

BUSH/CHENEY 2004! After all, it ain't my country!
www.american-buddha.com/addict.war.1.htm

Lestat
(Hive Bee)
08-19-04 20:34
No 526331
User Picture 
      I tried JAP yesterday actually, I tried to...     

I tried JAP yesterday actually, I tried to start the program, and it just came up with an error message and crashed, same happened after rebooting.

I need to bee able to change how my IP is seen on demand really, so as to mask my IP and machine name from the remote hostwink

Kids, say NO to the DEA!

starlight
(Hive Bee)
08-19-04 22:00
No 526339
      you need to use a proxy     

You need to use a proxy. You can't change your IP address to something completely different from what it is at the moment. There is only a limited range of IP addresses that are allowed in a particular network (i.e. the network served by your father's router).

Without a proxy, you need to supply your real IP address as part of the TCP/IP request to the remote server, otherwise it won't know where to send the results back to will it?

If you are having problems getting a proxy working then the solution is to try harder. There is no other realistic way for you to mask your IP address from the servers you visit unless you invest in a tunnelling service from an anonymity provider which is essentially a type of proxy anyway, just not an HTTP proxy.

Lestat
(Hive Bee)
08-19-04 22:37
No 526347
User Picture 
      I realise now that I can't run a HTTP proxy...     

I realise now that I can't run a HTTP proxy from my part of the LAN, I will look into web-based packet redirection as proxy-fying the router is not an option due to my father beeing a suspicious cuntand wanting to know WHY I wanted a proxy LOL.

Could you point me oin the right way to go, search keywords etc? Thanks.

Kids, say NO to the DEA!

MargaretThatcher
(Hive Bee)
08-19-04 22:43
No 526348
User Picture 
      JAP     

If you don't use a web based anonymising service, use JAP or similar.

What operating system are you trying to run JAP on? What is the exact error message it gives when it crashes? You may have to install a recent version of Sun Java to get JAP working.

Don't get a false sense of security from JAP, but it does hide your traffic from your ISP and MI5.

Are you, or have you ever been a Liberal? YES / NO

All 10 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by Big Pharma(R) v.3.16.2 professional, 2017-2023, PR Newswire Services Co. Europe. All rights reserved.

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 10-18-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique