Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

General Discourse  

All 8 posts   Subject: AP: Meth Cooks May Be Caught Pink-Handed   Please login to post   Down

hydroxyindolent
(Newbee)
08-21-04 09:05
No 526572
      AP: Meth Cooks May Be Caught Pink-Handed     

Meth Cooks May Be Caught Pink-Handed

Sat Aug 21, 1:46 AM ET

By ROXANA HEGEMAN, Associated Press Writer

WICHITA, Kan. - It may fall a shade shy of catching thieves red-handed, but for farmers fed up with methamphetamine cooks filching their fertilizer, staining them pink will do just fine.

Assuming you can discourage thieves you cannot easily catch, a new product called GloTell — which is added to tanks of anhydrous ammonia — will not only besmirch the hands of those who touch the fertilizer, but leaves its mark on anyone who snorts or shoots the end product.

GloTell is already proving to be a handy deterrent, but there were details to be worked out between its birth as a farmer's brainstorm and finished product.

The additive had to withstand the cold, corrosive nature of anhydrous ammonia. It had to be safe for the environment, safe for crops and even safe around children.

And in the two years it took to develop GloTell, researchers at the University of Southern Illinois Carbondale found it did much more than just stain thieves pink.

The visible stain, even if washed off, was still detectable by ultraviolet light 24 to 72 hours later. As an added benefit, the additive helped farmers detect any tank leaks, said Truitt Clements, spokesman for Illinois-based GloTell Distributors LLC.

Best of all, the treated anhydrous ammonia rendered any meth it was used to make extremely difficult to dry and turned it an unbleachable pink, he said.

"Most people that are drug users, they like a clean-looking drug if they are going to ... put it in their body," Clements said. "We know the end-product is not pretty at all."

Snort it, and it turns the nose fluorescent pink. Inject it, and the telltale pink shows up at the injection site, he said.

During product testing, GloTell was added to anhydrous ammonia tanks at farms that had been having problems with meth thefts in Illinois, Kentucky and Indiana, Clements said. Within a week, the thefts stopped.

On Tuesday, GloTell was unveiled at the Illinois State Fair.

Next month, Virginia-based Royster-Clark Inc. will begin selling it at nearly 250 of its outlets around the nation under an exclusive distribution agreement with GloTell, said Lori Ann Peters, a spokeswoman for Royster-Clark.

"The meth problem is not a problem that affects only families of people addicted, it plagues entire communities," Peters said.

The meth problem is especially bad in rural states like Kansas, which ranks among the top five meth-producing states in the nation, said Kyle Smith, spokesman for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

"Meth is our Number One problem — and has been for several years now," he said.

In 2003, there were 649 meth labs were seized in Kansas, compared to four labs seized in 1994, according to KBI statistics.

Anhydrous ammonia is especially dangerous to use in meth production — it can burn lungs, cause explosions and chemical burns, he said. Meth makers will likely turn to other meth production methods if GloTell use becomes widespread.

"Even if it pushes them to use a different methodology, that is good. ... It has to be demonstrated to me first. I hope it works, but we have to see," Smith said.

Clements said the additive will likely add about $9 per ton to the cost of anhydrous ammonia, which now costs about $240 a ton.

To deal with the problem of meth thefts, some states have passed laws requiring locks on anhydrous ammonia tanks — with limited success.

Iowa State University has also been working on an additive that would make anhydrous ammonia unusable for meth production, Wegmeyer said. That product may debut next year, she said.

"All farmers want to do is go out and produce their crops and raise their families and do the best job they can," Clements said. "A lot of times they are fighting druggies and putting up fences and locks. They just want to go back to the production of agriculture."

k0dog
(Hive Bee)
09-09-04 01:02
No 530404
      Good and bad     

To all who may Read,

SWIM do not wish to come off as an anti-drug user or anything to that nature as SWIM has been known to indulge the occassional use (and I am not proud of this but abuse).

Now Swim is sure to get replies that flame SWIM's commenets but If an individual steal I believe him to be a bad person.  The only exception to this rule is if it is stolen because of necessity (ex. food; becuaseyour starving, or water; because you are dehydrated and gonna die).  So to all the methcooks that steal farmers NH4... piss off and find a way to obtain your solvent a bettr more moral way.

On a small tangent, SWIM can almost be sure that the cooks that steal th NH4 will probably still charge an arm and a leg for their products; which personally is dumb.  I mean everyon needs to make a living although drugdealing is not a viable or logical career path.  If more people had a "higher" moral standard our world would be a more cohesive place without dumbasses (at least in my opinion) like Mr. President BUSH!!!

Thank you for listening and if you wish to flame me for my opinion please your constructive critism will be openly pondered.

Sincerely,
k0

"Vanity is defintely my favourite sin"
-Devil's advocate

mass_CYCOsICE
(Stranger)
09-09-04 05:38
No 530448
      Thieves suck!     

Yeah, not only do some of them steal the annie but many of them steal the pseudo as well. It doesn't bother SWIM one bit. Not that this will stop all meth production via annie or even stolen annie for that matter because I doubt seriously if all sources will bee contaminated with the dye, maybee the thieves will have to do more research?

So much for the annie monopoly! laugh

Combine this with eudragit and it provides a more even playing field for all bees that choose to dream via alternate methods, methods that require actual work and investment. The DEA has been fucking SWIM over, for so long, it is hard to believe that they would now decide to indirectly look out for his best interests. Its bad enough that UP til now, some of the easiest methods have been the most rewarding. No more rewards for thievery!

SWIM likes the revised rules to the game much better. Its a nice feeling to walk in to buy OTC pseudo and the clerks are happy to see ya, by the looks of how fully stocked the shelves are, it kind of makes you wonder if SWIM was their only customer for the day. smile

Thanks DEA!

12cheman12
(Hive Bee)
09-09-04 09:57
No 530464
      UTFSE before you post, this news about glotell     

UTFSE before you post, this news about glotell has already been posted, youll prob be downrated now for it.

Your an individual just like everyone else

hest
(Hive Adickt)
09-09-04 10:48
No 530473
      GloTell     

But wath iss GloTell ??? The comercial sayes it wil bee oxidised into a red material. Sound's like some quinone/eosine thing ?. Coud'nt find the patent.
They also claim a new product with will make the ammonia usless for the Birk red. (som kind of iron ??).
Guess all those pure cooks now have to destilate their ammonia.

12cheman12
(Hive Bee)
09-09-04 10:59
No 530474
      First thing i thought was there gonna have to...     

First thing i thought was there gonna have to distill, but if you think bout it im sure the people who invented glo tell are smarter than that true?
Prob has same BP.

Your an individual just like everyone else

hest
(Hive Adickt)
09-09-04 12:36
No 530484
      Nope     

nothing big enough to flurocense will boil at -30°C !

Jade
(soccer mom)
09-10-04 02:46
No 530579
User Picture 
      what if?     

In a way, something such as this could be used in a much different aspect. 

Imagine, what if every person that used any of the so-called "illegal drugs" had something visible show up?  How about fluorescent pink/green/orange ears?  I'm positive that even we would be shocked at the number of law-breakers.  Anyone from teachers, police, church groups, politicians, judges, grandma and grandpas, mom and dads, next door neighbors, etc.  Heaven forbid, all the employees in the work force!shocked  Wouldn't that just blow the opposition's theory of what a drug user is like?  I'd be willing to bet that damn near every person, LE or not, would have someone rather close to them that uses.  Hell, we wouldn't even need light bulbs any more cause of all the glo-in-the-dark images walking around.laugh

Please step aside -- I've got a real war to fight!

All 8 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by Infinite Justice V. 7.16.1, 2021, Wake and Bake

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 09-19-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique