Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Server Room  

All 20 posts   Subject: DVD Chemical Dictionary   Please login to post   Down

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
08-28-04 07:10
No 527922
User Picture 
      DVD Chemical Dictionary     

I need some help and idea input on compiling a DVD Chemical Dictionary.

I want to burn a DVD with the image of the Merck Index 13ed (or higher) CD, the image of the Combined Chemical Dictionary CD (http://www.crcpress.com), and two other chemical CD dictionary images, ALL ON one DVD, and virtually mount drive each one when required.

If each chemical CD dictionary image is burnt on the DVD...

merck13.iso
CCD1.iso
CDD2.iso
CDD3.iso

...and the root directory has the virtual mounting program.

What is the code for the autorun.inf file and the autorun.bat file?

[autorun]
open=autorun.bat

How would you go about this?

On another matter. I downloaded the cracked, "The.Combined.Chemical.Dictionary.2002.v6.1" by EATiSO, and do not understand how to burn this to CD?

The Eatiso.nfo file saids this.

The.Combined.Chemical.Dictionary.2002.v6.1-EATiSO

°ЫЫ    ±  SUPPLIER ....: TEAM EAT                                       ±    ЫЫ°
ЮЫЭ    ±  PROG TYPE ...: CHEMISTRY                                      ±    ЮЫЭ
ЫЫ     °  LANGUAGE ....: ENGLISH                                        °     ЫЫ
ЫЭ        RELEASE DATE.: 07/18/03                                             ЮЫ
Ы      °                                                                °      Ы
Ы     °   CRACKER ......: TEAM EAT                                       °     Ы
Ы         PROTECTION ...: SERIAL/KEYFILE                                       Ы
Ы         DIFFICULTY ...: GUESS! :)                                            Ы
Ы                                                                              Ы
Ы         PACKAGER ....: TEAM EAT                                              Ы
Ы         FORMAT ......: BIN/CUE                                               Ы
Ы         COMPRESSION .: m5e                                                   Ы
Ы         ARCHIVE NAME.: eatccd61.rar                                          Ы
Ы         No OF DISKS .: [15MB/40]                                             Ы
Ы                                                                              Ы
Ы         REQUIREMENTS .: WIN9X/ME/NT/2K/XP                                    Ы
Ы         RETAIL DATE...: June 2003                                            Ы
Ы         PRICE ........: $7,995.00                                            Ы
Ы         WEBSITE.......: http://www.crcpress.com                              Ы

INSTALLATION NOTES
                                                                 °    ЮЫ
Ы            1. Unpack and burn - on 800Mb / 90min CD - or mount image.        Ы
Ы            2. Install it (press continue when asked).                        Ы
Ы            3. Replace the main exe with the included cracked one.            Ы

How do I unpack the .r00 to .r38 image files, each 15Mb? What program is used for the M5E compression?

All help appreciated. Thanks!

weedar
(Gaylord)
08-28-04 07:21
No 527924
User Picture 
      rar     

unpack the first .rar file and if you use something like
winrar it should understand that it should continue with
.r00, .r01 and so on until it is all unpacked.

"seriously thishomo internet shit needs to stop" -mcrandom

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
08-28-04 07:30
No 527925
User Picture 
      winrar     

A .rnn file is just a .rar file that was split into multiple parts.

It's been a while since I've used multiple part files. I don't know if winrar will combine the parts now. Last time I did it many years ago I remember either having to join the .rnn files into one .rar file, or unzipping all the .rnn files first, and then combining them into a single file. (Probably the former.)

In either case, I did the concatenation with the DOS copy command to turn the multiple files into one. This was back in the early days of winrar, it probably automatically does it now.

Milk rots your brain.

7is
(Hive Bee)
08-29-04 02:44
No 528054
User Picture 
      hmm     

The.Combined.Chemical.Dictionary.2002.v6.1-EATiSO

Where would I be able to download that?

12cheman12
(Hive Bee)
08-29-04 09:36
No 528099
      With the rar files im pretty sure you dont...     

With the rar files im pretty sure you dont even have to open up the first one in the series.
You could open up the 24th one and the program knows its the 24th one so it automatically looks for the 1st one.
Just have all the files in the same directory and de compress with http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Your an individual just like everyone else

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
08-30-04 02:24
No 528191
User Picture 
      Thanks all     

Thank to: weedar, Unobtainium & 12cheman12. Yes, I was silly in thinking that a third party software like this TugZip (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tugzip.html) would decompress the .rar files.

If I'm successful in creating this "DVD Chemical Dictionary", I'll .iso it and see who can upload it to some server.

CheshireHouse
(Hive Bee)
08-30-04 06:12
No 528223
      Once you get the various *.iso, *.bin, etc...     

Once you get the various *.iso, *.bin, etc files, you can just burn them as data files (rather than burn them as images) to a dvd, and then mount them as you like with daemon tools.

One thing to consider, though, is that generally these cd's are the 'installation discs'.  However, any time there's a CD that has a lot of text/data files like that, there's usually an option during install that allows you to either leave the files on the cd or install them to your hard drive.  If you left them on the CD, then you could have just a small set of installation files stored on your hard drive, and then put the cd images onto a dvd & mount them when you want.

If you use them a lot, though, you might consider just installing to hdd... storage space is cheap these days, and it's quicker to load files from your hard drive than it is from a CD or DVD.

Another option would be to just leave all of the cd image files on your hdd & set daemon tools to have multiple virtual drives, and then you could leave all of them mounted all of the time.

If you do put them onto a dvd, I wouldn't worry about writing an autorun file.  If you really want to, though, pm me & I'll send you some software that will create autorun files for you according to what you want it to do.

One thing I don't like about the merck CD (at least the one I have) is that in order to use it you have to install CDzilla or another (I forget which) one of those type of "Digital Rights Management" licensing software things, and then it runs all the time, even when you're not using the Merck.  This is the case even with the cracked version.

knowing is the easy part

CheshireHouse
(Hive Bee)
08-30-04 06:16
No 528224
      12cheman12: While it's true in a sense that...     

12cheman12:

While it's true in a sense that you can open a rar archive set from anywhere in the series, opening the set and then extracting the compressed files takes twice as long (first it decompresses it into a temp folder somewhere, so you can view it, then when you drag out the files it decompresses them again -- or maybe it just moves or copies them, depending on what drive/partition you're trying to extract to, I'm not sure... in any case, it takes longer).  The easiest way is (once you've got winrar installed) to right-click on the *.rar file, and choose "extract here".  If you try to do that starting from a file somewhere in the middle of the set, it throws an error.

knowing is the easy part

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
08-31-04 04:02
No 528413
User Picture 
      Size?     

The *.bin & *.cue files of Combined Chemical Dictionary 2002 V6.1 by EATiSO decompresses to 928Mb. The Eatiso.nfo file saids you can burn it to a 800Mb / 90min CD?

I have looked at the *.bin file with CDmage and all seems fine, however the *.bin is 928Mb for me?

CDmage http://cdmage.cjb.net/ from http://www.netknowledgebase.com/tutorials/isos_rips.html

CheshireHouse
(Hive Bee)
09-01-04 05:30
No 528781
      nothing to worry about.     

First of all, the image is not 926MB.  It's 926,123KB.  There are 1,024KB in 1MB, so if you take 926,123 and divide it by 1.024, you get a little over 904.4MB.

Does this mean that it will require "overburning" to fit the disc image onto the CD?  No.

If you look at the *.cue sheet, you'll see a line that says "MODE1/2352".  That's to tell your CD burning software that it should put 2352 bytes of data into each disc sector when burning the image to CD.

The 800MB that is listed as the capacity of the disc is based on burning only 2048 bytes/sector.  This is because when you burn most data to CD, whether it be MP3, text files, whatever, 2048 bytes are burned to each sector, and the remainder of the space in the sector is taken up by redundant info that is included for purposes of error-checking and fault recovery.  So you're only going to be able to fit 800MB of MP3's onto an 80min CD (or maybe 1 or so meg more, depending on the manufacturer).  This redundant information was considered crucial for data storage, since an application, for instance, may not work at all if there is even a 1-bit error in the code.

Media formats such as CDDA (Compact Disc Digital Audio), VCD (Video CD), etc., however, are more forgiving of error.  You will not notice a 1-bit error while listening to a music CD or when watching a VCD in your DVD player (also, some formats, like MPEG, contain their own form of internal error-correction).  So those formats use the full 2352 Bytes/sector, which allows you to cram more information onto them.  That's why they list CDs as "800MB/80min" rather than just calling it one or the other -- because although you can only put 800MB of normal data files onto the disc, you can burn 80 minutes of (CDDA) music, which takes up more than 800MB.  Since CDDA, as uncompressed audio, always uses the same number of bytes/minute, it's convenient to label them this way, rather than "800MB/807.5MB", which is more confusing.

In fact, an 80min CD can hold (at least -- again, some manufacturers give a little bit of 'overburn' room at the end of the disc) 846,720,000 Bytes (826,875 KBytes; 807.5 MBytes) of Mode1 or Mode2 2352 bytes/sector data.

CD images often use 2352 Bytes/sector because when the original CD was imaged, the redundant error-checking part of each sector was also copied, and became part of the disc image (the .bin file, in this case).  You can see this for yourself if you mount the 904.4MB *.bin file in daemon tools, and then open it as if it were a CD, select all the files/folders, right-click, and choose "show properties".  There you can see that the total of all files on the CD is only 787MB.  The rest of it is a combination of the CRC information (the error-checking part of each sector) and stuff like the CD header and finalization track.

You should be aware that many CD burners, even ones that will accept 90min CD's, are not able to actually burn the disc to its full capacity.  Yet another reason why you're better off not burning it to CD at all, but installing the app by mounting the *.bin file using Daemon Tools, as I recommended in our PM conversation.  Another advantage of this is that you can store the original archives (the *.rar files) on DVD or wherever as a backup, rather than storing the burned CD.  RAR archives are a much safer way to store data than is a MODE1 disc, since most rar archives have CRC data included with them when they're compressed, allowing you to rebuild damaged files and recover lost information (should you get a scratch in the CD that corrupts one of the archives when trying to copy it from the cd, for instance).  If you're using a burned MODE1/2352 disc, however, any lost/damaged information is gone for good.

So, in summary:  1.  The *.bin file is only 904.4MB;  2.  A 90min CD can hold 908.4MB of MODE1/2352 data;  3. You're better off installing the app by mounting the CD image using Daemon Tools, anyway, thus avoiding the entire issue.

Sorry if my explanation was a bit convoluted heh... anyway, if so, I'm sure you can puzzle out the general idea, at the very least :)

knowing is the easy part

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
09-01-04 05:37
No 528783
User Picture 
      I don't know if any of that is true but it...     

I don't know if any of that is true but it sounded pretty good.

Milk rots your brain.

CheshireHouse
(Hive Bee)
09-01-04 05:56
No 528787
      Thanks!     

Hehe it's true.  I do a lot of video captures from VHS and SVHS cassettes, first compressing the raw video to MPEG-1 or -2, and then imaging it into bin/cue format for burning to cd as VCD or SVCD.  I routinely burn 835,000KB+ images to 80min CD's.

knowing is the easy part

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
09-02-04 07:10
No 529060
User Picture 
      Thanks     

CheshireHouse: Thanks for the explanation. Well, I tried to mount the image with Daemon Tools, and it mounted, but I could not see the files in the *.bin file? So therefore the mounting some how failed?

Anyway, I just extracted the files in the *.bin with CDmage to a HDD and installed the app.

I'll burn the extracted files to DVD along with Merck 13 and the Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, 14 Ed. CD
(http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471055328.html) and one other maybe?

CheshireHouse
(Hive Bee)
09-02-04 10:16
No 529104
      I'm not sure if i understand what you mean by...     

I'm not sure if i understand what you mean by 'I could not see the files in the *.bin file", but in case you didn't understand this, once the image is mounted you then go to "my computer" (where all of your drives and partitions are listed) and open up the new dvd-rom drive that daemon created there when it was installed, and you should be able to see the files there as if you were looking at them on a CD.  Once the image is mounted, you just proceed as if you had just inserted a burned cd into a physical cd/dvd-rom.

knowing is the easy part

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
09-03-04 04:23
No 529270
User Picture 
      DAEMON Tools     

CheshireHouse: Yes, I looked in "my computer" & "windows explorer", and nothing. I'll try it again just incase I made an error? Thanks again!

This is the link to DAEMON Tools I found and installed.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php?sid=d1c11372957246e1f57c0507702800a3

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
09-03-04 10:12
No 529319
User Picture 
      Bad Install.     

CheshireHouse: After uninstalling and reinstalling DAEMON Tools V3.47, I got it to work fine. I however tried to install DAEMON Tools V3.47 on another computer and it came up with a message saying that it was unable to install because it needs the newer "Windows Installer Service"?

I've looked on http://www.daemon-tools.cc to find out what this install error is, but can't find the required app? Can you help please?

CheshireHouse
(Hive Bee)
09-07-04 18:10
No 530134
      windows installer     

Yeah, you need the newer version of the Windows Installer Service.  Get it from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/W9XMe/EN-US/InstMsiA.exe

knowing is the easy part

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
10-12-04 10:46
No 535510
User Picture 
      CCD Online     

The combined chemical dictionary (CCD) is online http://chemnetbase.com/  Just need to get an account to login.

LaBTop
(Daddy)
10-12-04 16:57
No 535543
User Picture 
      ?     

Are you part of this website, or are you trying to dl that dictionairy software and burn it to a DVD, so we can dl it from some server where you put it on?
If I search for a chemical, I get the name back + CASnr + chemical name. If I click on the name, I get redirected to a login page, where they don't tell me if it's a free service or not.
Please explain what you intend to do. Be carefull if you want to rip their copyrighted software please. LT/

WISDOMwillWIN

WizardX
(Wizard Master)
10-13-04 03:42
No 535607
User Picture 
      Chemical Dictionary DVD     

Please explain what you intend to do. Be carefull if you want to rip their copyrighted software please. LT/

LaBTop: Thanks for your concern. No I'm not trying to rip their software.

The Chemical Dictionary DVD so far is comprised of the following:

(1)Merck 13th Edition
(2)Combined Chemical Dictionary (CRC)
(3)Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary 14th Edition.
(4)DrugFind (1700 entries)  http://www.chemograph.de/en/listDD.htm
(5) ????????????????????????
(6) ????????????????????????

I'm looking for a 5th & 6th to fill up the 4.7 gig DVD (or near to) dictionary.

While on the subject, who can host this on their server? I have no means of permanently hosting this 4.7 gig DVD? I can make arrangements for a temporary download using FTP maybe? What do you all suggest?

All 20 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by Eurocommies Version 1.11.2, Copyright 2015 - 2017, Chemhacks of Honey Enterprises Limited International

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 05-07-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique