Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  2 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

General Discourse  

All 4 posts   Subject: ethamivan   Please login to post   Down

stratosphere
(Hive Bee)
09-10-04 23:22
No 530707
      ethamivan     

i was wondering if anybody had any subjective knowledge on the effects of ethamivan.
most information i find seems to state it is a cns +respritory stimulant. i find it somewhat surprising it would have any cns activity considering it has a 4-hydroxy-phenyl group.

methyl_ethyl
(Guardian)
09-11-04 01:23
No 530736
User Picture 
      CNS     

From what I have read this drug is not a CNS stimulant, it also does not selectively stimulate respiratory neurons, however it may stimulate pulmonary "chemoreflexes" which may be the reason it is called a respiratory stimulant, however that being said literature states that an increase in repiratory rate was noted but not an increase in tidal volume.  I have not heard of anything stating it's action as a "true" CNS stimulant.  Where did you find information stating it's use as a CNS stimulant? 

I personally have never heard of this drug and just did a quick medline search on it. 

Respiratory stimulant effects of ethamivan and picrotoxin.
Hirsh K, Wang SC.
Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1975 May;193(2):657-63.
Medline (PMID=1173598)

Judging by the literature, this drug was hot in the sixties, and people kind of lost interest.  There is probably a good reason for this smile

regards,

methyl_ethyl

Unipolar Mania, It's good for life... laugh

stratosphere
(Hive Bee)
09-11-04 03:13
No 530773
      i saw a number of pages which sort of implied...     

i saw a number of pages which sort of implied it was a cns stimulant but most of these where of questionable reliability.
one that i saw which seemed credible was
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/medicine/drugsnervous.html
if you scroll way down to psycho stimulants it has ethamivan listed there under a catergory of "inhibiting inhibitory circuits, along with several other drugs such as doxapram, mefexamide.

Fastandbulbous
(Hive Bee)
09-11-04 14:03
No 530846
User Picture 
      Actions     

Most of the pharmacology text books I've got state that it's a respiratory stimulant that is actually a convulsant at higher doses (similar to begramide and pentylenetetrazole), but say nothing about it being a psychostimulant or increasing locomotor activity.

Personally, I would give it a wide berth unless someone had  personal experience of it's actions

That is right, the Mascara Snake: Fast and bulbous

All 4 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org