Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  2 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Server Room  

All 3 posts   Subject: Very sick computer :-(   Please login to post   Down

Trenchcoat
(Hive Bee)
09-12-04 08:20
No 530989
User Picture 
      Very sick computer :-(     

I was fucking around with a partition/boot manager called Bootstar and now I've fucked my computer. I don't really care because I was just about to reinstall anyways and have all my stuff backed up. BUT... Now my harddrives are fucked and my computer won't boot from a CD-ROM. It will boot from a floppy and I've managed to install FreeDOS for lack of being able to find DOS v6. FreeDOS doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive and so far I haven't been able to find DOS drivers for the piece of shit. Is it possible that Bootstar fucked up my BIOS's boot from CD code? Would flashing that help? I've tried booting from two different copies of WinXP and a Linux CD, no dice. This is horrible. If you have any ideas, please post them or PM me.

Better loving through chemistry.

Lestat
(Hive Bee)
09-12-04 08:32
No 530990
User Picture 
      Don't flash the bios, doing that can ...     

Don't flash the bios, doing that can irreperably FUBAR your machine, I'm not sure if your harddrives will bee recoverable, but unless you somehow half-partitioned your drive then most likely it will be.

DOS would bee definately worth getting if you can find it.
I'm not sure if you mean this, but have you tried altering the BIOS settings to set the CD drive to boot first, before the floppy? if not, try that.

I wouln't fuck about with partitioning utilities unless you know how to use them really, I had to partition my old drive from DOS once on another machine, and it was NOT the most fun of things to bee attempting I can tell you thatblush

Non omnis moriar, tenebris ะน clarior

Trenchcoat
(Hive Bee)
09-14-04 08:40
No 531253
User Picture 
      Oh my gosh, I just got it to boot from a ...     

Oh my gosh, I just got it to boot from a CD-ROM and Windows is installing at this very moment!smilesmilelaughsmile I have been so stressed out the past few days over this BS. I thought my computer was completely fucked for a minute there. Yay!

Better loving through chemistry.

All 3 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org