Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Server Room  

All 16 posts   Subject: HIVE VIRUS ?????????   Please login to post   Down

levo
(Stranger)
09-25-04 15:54
No 533136
      HIVE VIRUS ?????????     

Now don't start flipping out...here me out first!!!This past week I got a virus(Bloodhound.ws)and a worm(Sasser B).Didn't visit any sites but the hive and rhodium.Didn't check E-mail either.Had to format my disk and reinstall.I'm no internet scientist.....is it possible my computer and I got sick here?Sasser is a real bitch,shuts down your system ussually when in the middle of something important.None of the Microsoft downloads would remove it.I've gotten all security upgrades from microsoft and norton and hopefully this will protect.Worms and viruses suck...better up grade security now.

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
09-25-04 16:23
No 533137
User Picture 
      Re: Now don't start flipping out You mean like     

Now don't start flipping out

You mean like you have?

Didn't visit any sites but the hive and rhodium.Didn't check E-mail either.

Bullshit. No one believes you do nothing on your computer but visit the hive and rodium.

is it possible my computer and I got sick here?

It's possible if we wanted it to be, but it didn't happen.

None of the Microsoft downloads would remove it.

No shit?

Milk rots your brain.

MargaretThatcher
(Hive Bee)
09-25-04 21:00
No 533161
User Picture 
      Sasser B     

You don't need to do anything except connect an unpatched unfirewalled machine to the internet to catch the Sasser B worm. Get a firewall and install linux.

Are you, or have you ever been a Liberal? YES / NO

Drug_Phreak
(Hive Bee)
09-25-04 21:36
No 533167
      And...     

Old pattern files = Get Virus

Crank is part of this complete breakfast.

levo
(Stranger)
09-26-04 00:29
No 533187
      WORMS     

Doesn't sound like you believe me,did I forget to say I got Norton's notification of both the worm & the virus while on the HIVE-not trying to knock the HIVE I love this place as much as anyone.Just wanted to know if there was a problem.

lugh
(Moderator)
09-26-04 00:55
No 533190
      Worms and Open Ports     

The Sasser worm enters one's computer through open ports, the creator is the one you need to be upset with, if anyone tongue

http://www.prognosisx.com/cgi-bin/cgi-script/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=JanEE%2edb&command=viewone&id=46&op=t

Sasser Netsky virus coder lands job with security firm
Virus writer has a certain know-how that lands job
09-19-2004 9:13:32 PM CST -- from the folks at AFP for SMH.com.au

A German teenager accused of creating the Sasser worm that infected millions of computers around the world is being taught to become a security software programmer, the company that hired him said on Friday. Eighteen-year-old Sven Jaschan has been taken on by the Securepoint computer firm based in Lueneburg, northern Germany and is being trained to make firewalls, which stop suspect files from entering computer systems. "He has a certain know-how in this field," a company spokesman said.

Jaschan has been charged with computer sabotage, data manipulation and disruption of public systems for allegedly hatching the Sasser worm. The Sasser worm struck on May 1, and in less than a week affected thousands of companies, forcing some businesses to shut temporarily in order to debug their systems. Securepoint director Lutz Hausmann said the teenager had told him during a job interview that he only became really aware of the consequences of his actions after it was too late. "He deserves a chance," Hausmann said. German authorities believe Jaschan may also be behind another destructive worm named NetSky, which surfaced in February.

As was stated already, you need to close those open ports with a firewall cool The worm scans for open ports, and infects vulnerable machines, only you can secure your computer wink

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond

Scottydog
(Hive Addict)
09-26-04 05:45
No 533216
User Picture 
      Creating Fear     

So what is this virus supposed to do? I know a few people whose machines have become infected with the Sasser and I honestly feel that it is bullshit.

Shuts their computers down? Never seen it happen. I believe that some of these worms and viruses were created by the same people that create and sell firewall software and other security crap. They create an overly sensationalized fear that makes you want to run right out to purchase the cure.

I'm beginning to think that Sasser and Y2K have/had a lot in common. I'm not a computer expert, this is just my take on the issue. crazy

A friend of mine has a firewall that alerts him every once in awhile of its presense. He just drags the popup box into a corner where it can no longer bee seen and resumes his internet activities. I feel it is a programmed scam, nothing more.

No black helicopters, no stolen credit card numbers. No unseen entity taking over control of his computer. It amazes me how many people buy into these things. If you want something that will really make you feel that your computer is sick, turn on the "psychohive" function and leave it running for a month. tongue

Refuse/Resist

Osmium
(Stoni's sexual toy)
09-26-04 15:04
No 533247
User Picture 
      Sheesh! It's almost october and you people...     

Sheesh! It's almost october and you people still haven't patched your computers?!? And then you even dare to blame US for getting infected?

>  I got Norton's notification of both the worm & the virus while on the HIVE

Which proves what I've been saying all along, that Norton (and other) security shit isn't worth the money you paid for it. It also proves that people don't understand how the interwebnet thingie works. I think you can easily be on two web sites at once, can't you? And your modem isn't a one way street either, not only is there data going out, there's also some coming in. So what makes you believe that when you are on the hive that no other traffic canb reach your computer?

> They create an overly sensationalized fear that makes you want to run right
> out to purchase the cure.

Last time I checked all the anti-viral software vendors gave away the cure for FREE. You don't have to pay to remove most viruses. And M$ doesn't charge for their patches either, or does it?

> I'm not a computer expert,

No shit.
Nearly fooled us on this issue.

> A friend of mine has a firewall that alerts him every once in awhile of its
> presense. He just drags the popup box into a corner where it can no longer bee
> seen and resumes his internet activities.

Is he on AOL?

> No unseen entity taking over control of his computer.

How do you know?

> It amazes me how many people buy into these things.

You really believe what you just said, don't you?

BUSH/CHENEY 2004! After all, it ain't my country!
www.american-buddha.com/addict.war.1.htm

levo
(Stranger)
09-26-04 19:59
No 533282
      SASSER B     

yes like i said sasser shut your shit down..gives"NT AUTHORITY\system blah,blah,blah...1073741819. and shuts your ass down.put that # in at microsoft,tells you that you have Sasser-B.....what's up with Norton?On my notification"you have a virus & it can't be removed" so whats the deal?Anyway worm and virus gone,installed a firewall....enough of this shit.

Osmium
(Stoni's sexual toy)
09-26-04 22:41
No 533302
User Picture 
      > what's up with Norton?On my notification     

> what's up with Norton?On my notification"you have a virus & it can't be removed"
> so whats the deal?

The deal is that Norton (and all those other system security tools) is unnecessary, overpriced and crap.

APPLY THOSE PATCHES!
Ever heard of Windows update? In case you have, why aren't you using it? In case you haven't, what planet are you living on?

BUSH/CHENEY 2004! After all, it ain't my country!
www.american-buddha.com/addict.war.1.htm

myodyne
(Newbee)
09-27-04 22:17
No 533450
User Picture 
      Behold of the Meta-Virii !!!     

Did you know ? 

Some skilled virus coders are pushing us into a new field of security nightmares . Have you ever heard of a "polymorphic" or even worse of a "metamorphic" virus..

I saw last week an example of an old (previously detected) trojan which was "transmutated" and then it was not possible for any Norton or McAfee crap to scan and find it anymore..

Feels unfair..

hypo
(Quasiquerumodo)
09-27-04 22:32
No 533455
      rotfl!!     

> Have you ever heard of a "polymorphic" or even worse of a "metamorphic" virus..

welcome to the early 1990ies.laughlaughlaugh

"And you for sure cant read nor write assembler, idiot." - orgy.

fnord
(Hive Bee)
10-09-04 20:01
No 535069
User Picture 
      crap     

maybe your computer is just crap and now your blaiming on the virus? try running linux and getting a better computer

wareami
(Hive Addict)
10-09-04 21:23
No 535082
User Picture 
      Virus...adware...scumware...no matter!     

The alarming facts aren't how annoying and disruptive these things are that interfere with livelihoods(remember...some of us wouldn't know a life if it jumped out the box and bitchslapped usshockedwink), the most disturbing fact is most of these security breaches and vulnerabilities are no fucking accident or oversite.
They cannot enforce the deployment of Web V.02 without the periodic intrusions.....hence, testing platforms!
I know that not a single soul on this board is so gullible that they believe littlemartian-trollhackwhores invade their machines and OS'es randomly...without rhyme or reason. Datamining for what??? To sell MY broke ass somethin? Please!!!
All one need do at any given moment, if interested, is research structures, dates and times of fixes and patches relative to the initial ?discovery? of the backport exposure!
I use the term "discovery" loosely BTW. More along the double-edge sword lines!
You can't expect me to believe they don't have the testing capacity and facility to detect these issues prior to rollout. Cross-referencing ITaskF advancement and internet liason sources against the nature and intent/supposed countless "Ooooop's" give a more accurate portrayal and reason behind most "OpenSeason" events experienced acrossed all platforms and worldwide internet users.
You mean to tell me an unscuplous dirtbag advertisment marketing firm has the where-with-all to undermine the intent and structure of a multi-national multi billion dollar industry as easily as an ant arrives at yer picnic and makes off with a watermelon?blush
There are several laws on the books that encourage doing whatever it takes to hold wayward surfers accountable...including the destruction and/or manipulation of your bought and paid for personal property.
How convenient that most software EULA's and TOS's include liability exemption for their use as a condition of acceptance.

While everyones attention is diverted and preoccupationally obsessed with carefuly trying to protect their property and rightfully so...The fox is making off with henhouse.
You mark my words....things are about to get real ugly concerning Privacy Rights/Info Freedom and the world wide web around the globe.
Say what you wish and believe what you have the capacity to, on the subject of anonymity...but based on all I've learned to date...we'll all be unpleasantly surprised, and soon if calculations are correct.
There is no such thing as free lunch...never was, never will be and I'm predicting that the fallacy of such notion is exactly the next playing card they have up their sleeve!
Not much different from the enterprising young salesperson that learns early on in life that there's a sucker born every minute.
I'm having a hard time coming to grips with a Rightful-Use concept of the internet that is supposedly applied under contractual purchase only to learn the bastards are building a three-legged chair on purpose.
We won't know the full impact until the new backbone is brought into compliance and fully deployed!
Beeware the geek bearing gifts is all I can say!laugh

If the shoethrows fits...Ware Itout

hypo
(Balanced Ego)
10-09-04 21:59
No 535093
      what?     

i think you should add some animated gifs to clear up that post, because i did not
understand a word!?!?

"And you for sure cant read nor write assembler, idiot." - orgy.

Captain_America
10-09-04 22:11
      Some skilled virus coders are pushing us into...
(Rated as: redundant)

All 16 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org