Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  2 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

Law and Order  

All 10 posts   Subject: Marijuana Made Them Do It   Please login to post   Down

Jade
(soccer mom)
10-01-04 10:14
No 534013
User Picture 
      Marijuana Made Them Do It     

Convicted killer says marijuana made him do it

In a case that's rekindling the debate over the effects of smoking marijuana, a Quebec man has had his murder sentence reduced -- because he was under the influence of marijuana at the time.

Described as a life-long substance abuser, 31-year-old Martin Veilleux had been on a marijuana binge when he stabbed his good friend, for no apparent reason, in March of last year.

He was sentenced to five years in prison on Wednesday, after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter.

During the trial, two psychiatrists testified that modern strains of marijuana are so potent they can cause psychosis.

Pot smoked today, they said, contains up to 10 times the amount of the active ingredient THC than typical marijuana did 30 years ago.

Defence lawyer Normand Boudreau says those numbers mean it's no longer appropriate to call pot a "soft drug."

One of Canada's most outspoken marijuana advocates disagrees. Boris St-Maurice acknowledges the drug isn't for everyone, but he believes legalization would allow for better control.

"It's not stronger," he told CTV's Montreal affiliate. "It's just easier to find, and that's the result of prohibition where criminals will go for the most concentrated product to get more bang for the buck."

Far from excusing the crime trial judge Gilles Hebert says the arguments in the case should serve as a wake-up call.

"What words can we use to warn people about the unpredictability of marijuana or other drugs, when we don't know what's in it, or what level of THC is included," Hebert wrote in his decision.

"As a judge, I worry about the open acceptance and widespread availability of drugs."
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1096493530184_91902730/?hub=Canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marijuana smoker beheads two Malawi women - police
24 Sep 2004 15:18:45 GMT

Source: Reuters

BLANTYRE, Sept 24 (Reuters) - A Malawian man believed to be high on marijuana beheaded two women with an axe on Friday, police in the southern African country said.

The man, in his mid-20s, beheaded a 52-year-old woman while she worked in her garden with her daughter and did the same to a 68-year-old friend who came to the daughter's aid, police spokesman Kelvin Maigwa told Reuters.

"The unsuspecting woman greeted the stranger who, instead, threw the axe at her, aiming at the chest," Maigwa said.

He said police found marijuana, or hemp, when they searched the suspect's home.

"The house was full of stench from recently smoked hemp. We believe he had an overdose of the hemp that made him go berserk," Maigwa said, adding that the walls of the house bore quotations from famous reggae songs.

Police have launched a manhunt for the killer, who fled into the bush after the attacks.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/THO452683.htm

There's a terrorist behind every Bush.

Maadmike
(Stranger)
10-02-04 18:01
No 534177
      What a load of shit. I'll admit i have had...     

What a load of shit. I'll admit i have had some thoughts go through my head on weed that i certainally wouldn't have when in straight....but to say you feel like killing some, letalone carrying it out is beyond me.

At the same time i've seen so many people being effected totally differently when they smoke....for the first few months anyway. After that all weed smokers i've been around seem to get on the same 'level' when whacked (i.e. they all are in the same sorta mood). yet i've heard of so many cases where people go totally insane, to blame it on weed is absolute BS and im yet to see it. If you go out and kill people its already there in you head, weed doesn't put it there, or trigger it IMO. Still everyone's brain works differently i suppose.

jsorex
(Hive Addict)
10-02-04 18:25
No 534182
      "After that all weed smokers i've been...     

"After that all weed smokers i've been around seem to get on the same 'level' when whacked (i.e. they all are in the same sorta mood)."

Yes, brain-dead ie. incapable of murder.

033102beer_1_prv.gif

weedar
(Gaylord)
10-02-04 19:49
No 534200
User Picture 
      watch it!     

Yes, brain-dead ie. incapable of murder.

Hey, why the hate? If you smoked some weed you
probably wouldn't get so agitated all the time.tongue

Once in a while I hear about people getting psychosis
"from" cannabis, but seeing as the people getting it are
the people I'd predict turning nuts anyway I don't feel
like putting all the blame on the weed. Oh well, guess now
I can get away with anything and blame it on the evil grass..

"seriously thishomo internet shit needs to stop" -mcrandom

Stonium
(BEE-OTCH)
10-03-04 05:33
No 534239
User Picture 
      What the?     

A sentence reduction for murder on these grounds is a phucking abomination!

Martin Veilleux had been on a marijuana binge when he stabbed his good friend, for no apparent reason

Unpleasant effects that may occur include depersonalization (inability to distinguish oneself from others), changed body image, disorientation and acute panic reactions or severe paranoia.

Some cases of severe delirium, hallucinations, and violence have also been reported. Such cases should raise suspicion that the marijuana may have been laced with another agent such as PCP.

Source: Medline Plus Encylopedia, a service of The National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.

During the trial, two psychiatrists testified that modern strains of marijuana are so potent they can cause psychosis.

Marijuana Overdose

The Drug Awareness Warning Network Annual Report, published by the US federal government contains a statistical compilation of all drug deaths which occur in the United States. According to this report, there has never been a death recorded from the use of marijuana by natural causes. Unlike opiates, barbiturates or amphetamines, there seems to be little risk from the use of large amounts of marijuana. When a person smokes too much they feel very tired and lie down. When people swallow large amounts of hashish, occasionally they get sick to their stomach.

Pot smoked today, they said, contains up to 10 times the amount of the active ingredient THC than typical marijuana did 30 years ago.

Marijuana's effect on the user depends on the strength or potency of the THC it contains. THC potency has increased since the 1970s but has been about the same since the mid-1980s. The strength of the drug is measured by the average amount of THC in test samples confiscated by law enforcement agencies.

Source: DAWN

There is no real "overdose" in the sense that overdose exists with other drugs. Occasionally people report feeling anxious or fearful soon after smoking or after particularly heavy dose. Relaxed and reassuring conversation with the user is often the best treatment for such an episode.

Source: Vassar.edu

"What words can we use to warn people about the unpredictability of marijuana or other drugs, when we don't know what's in it, or what level of THC is included," Hebert wrote in his decision.

Deliver the TRUTH and let people make up their own mind.

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.

claude
(Newbee)
10-04-04 07:26
No 534363
      I don't care     

I don't care what says authority about marijuana. Their discourse will become coherent when they will smoke it. Maybe some people can develop psychotic attitude by smoking it, but certain people (the same?) can also develop psychotic attitude when they drive at rush hour, when they are drunk, when computer (or anything else) doesn't work like they want...
Authority feared of marijuana make its taste more pleasant to smokers haha

geezmeister
(Of Counsel)
10-05-04 16:20
No 534556
      or the devil....     

Maybe the devil made him do it. We don't tend to put that sort of credence in the concept of Satan directing personal action anymore. I can't recall any defendant in open court blaming responsibility for his criminal acts on the Devil himself. I assure you I have heard all manner of explanation for criminal acts, and heard the devil described by more conditions and maladies and weaknesses than I could ever have imagined.

Some say alcohol made them do it, other that parental abuse of them as children did. Some blame stress, some blame being molested as a child, others blame drugs, learning disabilities, developmental disorders, allergies, psychiatric disorders, or the death of loved one. I have heard people give so many excuses for why they broke the law I believe the list of explanations must be endless.

People want an excuse for their criminal behavior. They want to lay the blame for their acts on something other than their own volition. They admit they broke the law but seek to lay the real blame for the violation of the law on something other than themselves.

A defendant's willingness to accept responsibility for his own acts is one thing that judges and corrections officials consider the starting point of rehabilitation. Until the individual accepts personal responsibility for his actions, he does not actually admit his guilt. The concept of "corrections" is founded on acceptance of personal responsibility.

mostly harmless

paranoid
(Quick-witted Quibbler)
10-10-04 19:40
No 535225
User Picture 
      "People want an excuse for their criminal     

"People want an excuse for their criminal behavior. They want to lay the blame for their acts on something other than their own volition. They admit they broke the law but seek to lay the real blame for the violation of the law on something other than themselves. "

Precisely.

"Maybe some people can develop psychotic attitude by smoking it (MJ), but certain people (the same?) can also develop psychotic attitude when they drive at rush hour, when they are drunk, when computer (or anything else) doesn't work like they want..."

A psychotic person smoking MJ is now just a stoned psychotic person.  OBviously the potential was there before the drug existed.  Perhaps it may have aggravated the condition, but it was not the cause.

Much like a person suffering from a severe allergic reaction to a substance - it's not the substance in question causing the problem, but rather the body's own immune system.  Should eggs be outlawed because a small proportion of people have rapid and deadly reactions to them?  How about peanuts?

Perhaps these are not the finest examples (seeing as how eggs and peanuts are not considered psychotropic), but they demonstrate the point.

My ideal vacation - Juxtaposed along the precipice intersecting reality and fantasy (i.e. wanking).

jsorex
(Hive Addict)
10-11-04 21:28
No 535399
      yeah, but marijuana isn't outlawed because it...     

yeah, but marijuana isn't outlawed because it causese allergic reactions in some few. It is because if it weren't more than a few people would stop working and the system would die. Not really perhaps, but since people are afraid of that it makes Marijuana a worse destroyer of all good than Satan himself. "smokers are terrorists."

They are afraid that somebody might actually "tune in, turn on and drop out".

Nixon called Leary: "the most dangerous man in America."

033102beer_1_prv.gif

paranoid
(Quick-witted Quibbler)
10-11-04 21:55
No 535405
User Picture 
      I don't think legalising MJ would turn ...     

I don't think legalising MJ would turn everyone into a slack stoner.  I can come by it as easily as I please, yet I'm not stoned all the time (rarely in fact).  I certainly don't feel afraid to smoke it either.

Then again, the laws associated with it's use here are far less draconian than those in the states (if they even bother to charge you).  Not good, but much better.

BTW, i know you're being facetious smile.

My ideal vacation - Juxtaposed along the precipice intersecting reality and fantasy (i.e. wanking).

All 10 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by Desire v.6.11 (pirate copy), (C) 2014, Royal Jelly Co. Asia

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 05-19-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique