Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Server Room  

All 5 posts   Subject: Forensic experts track printer fingerprints   Please login to post   Down

Stonium
(BEE-OTCH)
10-16-04 16:17
No 536094
User Picture 
      Forensic experts track printer fingerprints     

Forensic experts track printer fingerprints

By Michael Kanellos CNET News.com October 15, 2004

Researchers at Purdue University have developed image analysis techniques that may one day help tie counterfeit money and forged documents to the printers that produced them.

In lab experiments, the researchers examined documents that came from 12 different models of printers and were able to correctly link a document to its printer 11 times. The techniques currently let forensic investigators match a document with only a specific printer model, but will be honed so that a document can be matched to a particular printer.

"That means we will be able to tell the difference between counterfeit bills created on specific printers even if they are the same model," Edward Delp, professor of electrical and computer engineering at Purdue, said in a statement.

Delp and other professors and graduate students who worked on the project will present papers detailing the technology in November at the International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies in Salt Lake City. The group will also work with the U.S. Secret Service to develop new methods for tracing documents and counterfeit bills.

Software developed by Delp can identify "intrinsic signatures" of printers, or the subtle differences in the output of printers based on the small differences in their mechanics. To cut costs, printer manufacturers use plastic gears and other parts that create variations in printed sheets. These variations could be attenuated, but it would raise manufacturing prices considerably.

The group also exploits "banding," or the horizontal layers of ink that make up printed characters. Ink is laid down in horizontal lines or bands, which will vary in width and intensity because of the mechanical operation of the printer and the speed of the internal drum.

Banding, however, will change when the toner cartridge is changed. To counteract that effect, Purdue researchers are working with printer manufacturers to create a watermarking technology that would insert an "extrinsic signature" into the document. These signatures could not be recognized by the human eye but could be ferreted out through image analysis.

Jan Allebach, a professor of electrical and computer engineering, and George Chiu, a professor of mechanical engineering, have been working on a technology to reduce banding. The same technology can be used to insert the watermark.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040-5410790.html

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
-Howard Zinn

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
10-17-04 07:04
No 536157
User Picture 
      I don't understand why there is this sudden...     

I don't understand why there is this sudden interest in preveting desktop couterfeiting. No one uses their HP deskjet to forge currency. I'm sure a few highschool kids have tried it just like they try to create fake licenses, but unlike a fake ID where the result can actually be passable, I can't see anyone coming up with realistic looking bill and actually using them.

Milk rots your brain.

Scottydog
(Hive Addict)
10-17-04 07:15
No 536158
User Picture 
      Machines     

"but unlike a fake ID where the result can actually be passable, I can't see anyone coming up with realistic looking bill and actually using them.

I bet some of the most terrible reproductions are often found in "out dated" machines? Machines offer less scrutiny then hand to hand transactions. crazy

Refuse/Resist

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
10-17-04 09:02
No 536161
User Picture 
      Old coin machines like at laundry mats or...     

Old coin machines like at laundry mats or vending machines will take even a bad photocopy. But I can't see someone occassionally getting $20 worth of quarters or a free Pepsi as a multimillion dollar financial loss.

Milk rots your brain.

Tdurden969
(Hive Bee)
10-20-04 04:32
No 536734
      Anyone dumb enough to try to pass bills made...     

Anyone dumb enough to try to pass bills made on their home printer will eventually be caught.

Now as for bill validators, they use magnetics and rudimentary optical scanners to do their thang.
That's all I'm going to say on the matter. wink

..we've got to help each other out Cause this is how we all survive..

All 5 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by Dissociative Identity Disorder Release 4.10, 2014, Nuclear Cucumber Ltd.

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 05-07-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique