Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  2 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

Newbee Forum  

All 5 posts   Subject: electro. prep of Mn(V)So4?   Please login to post   Down

n00dle
(Hive Bee)
11-04-04 14:57
No 539661
      electro. prep of Mn(V)So4?     

Hi bees. Let's assume unactivated MnO2 is to be had in surplus quantities, but sulfuric acid is not.

The goal is to end up with Mn(V)So4 which can be reduced to Mn(2)So4 which in turn will hopefully oxidise some toluene to benzaldehyde.

Due to lack of much quantity of sulfuric acid, would electrolysis provide a means of forcing the generation of Mn(5)So4 over just heating in conc. sulfuric acid?

I understand the V+ electrolysis mechanism is recyclable with 100% turnover to benzaldehyde, Mn ions should function the same but with aroundabout a 70%/30% benzaldehyde/tolune turnover.

Is this oxidation of toluene process going to be easier for one to do, eg, less strain on the amount of sulfuric acid, possibly reusable? SWIM does not really want large amounts of dangerous things such as sulfuric acid lying around.

Sorry for newb questions, electrolysis ain't SWIM's thing, but i guess if it is the only option, it will soon have to be.

Nicodem
(Hive Bee)
11-04-04 18:54
No 539684
User Picture 
      Mn(V)So4 ???     

I don't think there is any such thing as "Mn(V)So4". What compound is that code supposed to bee for?

The reaction between MnO2 and sulphuric acids only yields MnSO4, oxygen and water:

MnO2(s) + H2SO4(aq) -> MnSO4(aq) + 1/2 O2(g) + H2O(l)

“The real drug-problem is that we need more and better drugs.” – J. Ott

acx01b
(Hive Bee)
11-04-04 19:14
No 539688
User Picture 
      can i just ask here how MnO2 is produced for...     

can i just ask here how MnO2 is produced for all the alkaline batteries of the world ?

n00dle
(Hive Bee)
11-05-04 02:13
No 539770
      Nicodem, SWIM placed MnSO4 into hot conq.     

Nicodem,
SWIM placed Mn[II]SO4 into hot conq. sulfuric acid and it gave a brown precipitate of Mn[V]SO4. The roman numbers are just the state of oxidation I believe.

All SWIM is trying to do by this, is see if we can use electricity to push the rxn forward, so we might be able to use less sulfuric acid, less concentrated forms, or no heat.

the reaction says that the '5' state oxidises toluene and you end up with the '2' state. Therefore, the manganese is reducing. Therefore if we wanted to 'recharge' it, we need to oxidise it again.

If one had a compacted bar of '2' state manganese sulfate and used this as the anode and a graphite cathode, and used dilute (perhaps 20%?) sulfuric acid, and applied power to the circuit, would this push in our favour?

Organikum
(Wonderful Personality)
11-07-04 15:20
No 540202
      You will find all this and much more in ...     

You will find all this and much more in Antonchos´s Benzaldehyde thread. Heaps of patents and what-not-ever-else. Even buying a book of Uncle Fester on Meth will answer your question. Partly.
UTFSE.

The compound is manganese-persulfate or manganese(III)sulfate IIRC.

so near, so far......

All 5 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by Tea & Milk v.5.12, (c) 2019, Death Metal

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 04-29-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique