Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  10 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Couch  

All 34 posts   Subject: Ear infection?   Please login to post   Thread expires   Down

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-08-04 05:43
No 540356
      Ear infection?     

anyone have any clue how dangerous an ear infection could be? becuase i have no insurance and doctors are big money by me, and my ear hurts and i seem to be having a hard time hearing in one ear, equalizing the pressure seems to help but... I know this isn't a med page or anything but i don't really know anyone so....

StraightEdge
(Hive Addict)
11-08-04 05:54
No 540358
      How long has it lasted for?     

How long has it lasted for? I think the general consensus is that if it lasts longer than 48 hours, you should go see a doctor.

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-08-04 05:59
No 540363
      damn     

like 3-4 weeks with the hearing loss, about 2 months with the pain, but had checked out a few weeks after it stated hurting, this sounds so dumb but could it be ear wax build up, i use ear plugs every night.

StraightEdge
(Hive Addict)
11-08-04 06:16
No 540368
      So you got it checked out, and what did the...     

So you got it checked out, and what did the doctor say?

If he said to ignore it, you need to find a different doctor immediately. I don't think it is ear wax buildup. You've already waited too long, do something about it tomorrow.

jboogie
(Hive Bee)
11-08-04 06:26
No 540370
User Picture 
      if you have a serious ear infection (ear ...     

if you have a serious ear infection (ear infuckshun) you will most likely have equilibrium problems...i.e. dizzy, nausea. they are serious and i wouldnt recomend waiting it out. a treatment of antibiotics is most definately needed. the inner ear is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. if wax is the problem, the doc can tell you while he's looking in your ear. twat did you say?
as long as yo have had it, i would not assume it to bee an ear infection. get an earwax removal kit and see if that helps. bee careful not to force water in your ear when doing this. that will certinly lead to an ear infection, particularly since you sleep with plugs. if possible, try to sleep without plugs, as this reduces airflow, hold in moisture, and traps heat...three things infections like the most. i cunt hear you!

sory, couldnt resist the ear infuckshun lines! what movie was that shit from? i cant remember...

Don't you think if I had something intelligent to say, it would bee in my post?

cublium
(Hive Bee)
11-08-04 06:27
No 540371
      That's called bad karma for trying to pass...     

That's called bad karma for trying to pass 5-Meo-Amt on blotter off as LSD.laughSeriosly,go see a doc,loss of hearing isn't something you'd want to achieve.

paranoid
(Quick-witted Quibbler)
11-08-04 06:30
No 540372
User Picture 
      Definitely stop using the plugs.     

Definitely stop using the plugs.  It is most likely both the initial cause of and the continuing agonist of your ear infection.  Especially since you undoubtedly keep putting the same filthy plug back in several times.  Even cleaning them won't help, as they are extremely porous and nearly impossible to clean well.

If you must use them from time to time, sterilise them in boiling water between uses, and make sure they are dry before putting them in.

And for heaven's sake, get thee to a physician and get some antibiotics before you go deaf dummy.  Yeesh.

My ideal vacation - Juxtaposed along the precipice intersecting reality and fantasy (i.e. wanking).

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
11-08-04 08:04
No 540383
User Picture 
      onion juice     

I know people that sware by onion juice as a cure for ear infections.

Take a teaspoon of fresh onion juice and warm it over the stove (just enough to get it warm, not hot) for a few moments. Soak the warm onion juice up with a cotton ball. Gently squeeze several drops of juice into the affected ear(s) and plug with the cotton. Repeat every few hours. This helps to relieve pressure on the ear drum and works to counter infection-causing bacteria.

http://healthy.net/asp/templates/column.asp?PageType=Column&id=347

Don't ask me how you squeeze an onion.

Jade
(soccer mom)
11-08-04 11:56
No 540401
User Picture 
      sinus infection?     

You may have sinus infection that is causing your ear trouble.  As long as it has been going on you really need antibiotics and a prescription nasal spray and/or ear drops.  I doubt that any otc meds or home remedies will help you at this point.  A few years ago I had a similiar thing happen to me and it took several trips to the dr. before it went away.  He, first prescribed oral antibiotics and ear drops, then after that didn't do it, the nasal spray was tried and after a week or two, I finally found relieve.  Don't let it go on.  Find a way to get medical treatment cause it will only get worse and a stay in the hospital will cost a great deal more.  Take care of yourself, sweetie.wink

There's a terrorist behind every Bush.

ChemoSabe
(Hive Addict)
11-08-04 17:29
No 540453
User Picture 
      H2O2 for ear cleaning     

Wait to have that ear checked before doing this.

Stuff to have

Bottle of H2O2 Hydrogen Peroxide
Medicine Dropper
Bottle of any strenght or % of rubbing alcohol but 99% is recommended
Some sort of cup or water glass
A shower head setup with a hose and either a decent shower massage or just the bare shower hose with head removed.

Procedure

Fill medicine dropper with H2O2
Tilt head to one side and fill upwardly pointing ear canal with the hydrogen peroxide
Lay down on your side and enjoy the fizzing sounds of the wax dissolving
If you have alot of buildup it's gonna fizz like crazy for a long time
You may even get that peroxide in there saturated with wax and have to dump the contents (drain your ear canal) into your water glass or cup and refill the ear canal again and lay there and let it fizz awhile once or twice more.
To do a thorough job spend about a half hour per ear of filling the canal with peroxide and letting it sit and dissolve the wax and then draining it..

Now comes the water blasting.

Go to your shower massage setup and crank up the hose with as hot and as forceful a blast as you judge you can handle. The pulsing setting on a multi output massage head is usually the most effective. But no head at all (hose only) is the way to truly get the most forceful and focused blast of water. Now proceed to blast out your ear canals. Be careful about not blasting too hard or too hot but your body should give you the appropriate feedback so that you don't over do it.

I too once had an ear that got sealed up with wax and when I finally got it emptied with the above technique it was truly unbeleivable the amount of crap that had been stored up in my ear. And the hearing nearly did go away in that ear until I got the stuff out.

If enough stuff came out to your satisfaction from the peroxide soaks alone (and alot will come out) then you may be able top skip the forceful water blasting. Somehow I think you'll need to it at least for this first time.

The final thing to do is to give each ear canal a final soak and rinse with rubbing alchol which will act just like a "gas line dehydrator" and get the residual water out of the ear canal.

After a good and thorough cleaning like this to prevent huge buildup from occuring again give each ear canal a good peroxide soaking for 15 minutes per ear every month or so.

Good luck and I hope it's only a wax buildup problem.

can't flush this

jboogie
(Hive Bee)
11-08-04 17:55
No 540456
User Picture 
      a doctor will advise...     

a doctor will advise you to not use h2o2 to clean your ears. the ear drum is made up of a thin layer of protein. what does peroxide do to proteins? it breaks them down. it can literaly eat away your ear drum. unless a doctor tells you to or does it himself, dont intruduce peroxide to your ear canal.

jboogie
(Hive Bee)
11-08-04 17:57
No 540457
User Picture 
      i just wanted to add..     

most ear cleaners contain a peroxide of some sort, but it is contained in a thick solution to prevent it from reacting so quickly and to keep it in contact with the walls of your ear canal and thusly the wax.
strait peroxide is a no-no.

ChemoSabe
(Hive Addict)
11-08-04 18:42
No 540460
User Picture 
      Carbamide     

the kind in most ear cleaning solutions is carbamide peroxide. You're probably correct with your comment about the hydrogen peroxide but in my particular case I guess the buildup was so bad and dense that it did not respond to treatment with the carbamide type so more extreme measures were used.

can't flush this

methyl_ethyl
(Guardian)
11-09-04 03:58
No 540562
User Picture 
      wax impaction     

EDIT:

I retract my statements concerning ear candling.  It was irresponsible to suggest something that I only had personal experience with, and worse yet those experiences were usually part of an all day spa package at an all inclusive.  Of course I felt new and refreshed, I had just been pampered for 6 hours.  That and I based none of my suggestions on evidence based findings, i.e. through proven documented procedures.  From what I have read there is NO evidence that earcandling is beneficial in any way, in fact it is dangerous and could make matters worse. 

I do not make this mistake very often, I guess I just got excited because I truly believed this method worked for me. 

regards,

methyl_ethyl

Unipolar Mania, It's good for life... laugh

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-09-04 05:32
No 540583
      Thanks for all the suggestions     

Seriously thank you all for all the suggestions. cublium, i've been waiting to hear some smack about that shit becuase i am suprisingly getting smarter i won't flip out and get rated,  but I HAVE NEVER PASSED ANYTHING OFF AS ANYTHING. Seriously can we getta moderator to block all the false accusations. And unobtainium i know you hate me so that whole onion juice thing sounds like a sick joke wink

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
11-09-04 06:07
No 540585
User Picture 
      Garlic juice appearently works well too.     

Garlic juice appearently works well too.

But only if you put parsley behind your ear.

paranoid
(Quick-witted Quibbler)
11-09-04 06:40
No 540594
User Picture 
      Onion, and particularly garlic juice, both...     

Onion, and particularly garlic juice, both contain bacteriocidal agents such as Allicin and various others.  If your problem is bacterial in nature, it may very well have some positive impact.  Plus it will keep the vampires away.

My ideal vacation - Juxtaposed along the precipice intersecting reality and fantasy (i.e. wanking).

jboogie
(Hive Bee)
11-09-04 08:08
No 540608
User Picture 
      garlic...     

garlic has been used as a homeopathic disinfectant/antibacterial for centuries, and quite effectivly in some cases.

Osmium
(Stoni's sexual toy)
11-09-04 14:49
No 540646
User Picture 
      Ear candles only work if you believe in stuff...     

Ear candles only work if you believe in stuff like astrology and homeopathy too.

BUSH/CHENEY 2004! After all, it ain't my country!
www.american-buddha.com/addict.war.1.htm

Lilienthal
(Moderator)
11-09-04 15:21
No 540653
User Picture 
      OMG, this thread is so strange!     

OMG, this thread is so strange! This idiot is risking his hearing! It's irresponsible to suggest him this hocus-pocus stuff! Go to your doctor!!!

(It must be hard to live in such an uncivilized country without adequate health insurance. tongue)

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
11-09-04 18:00
No 540674
User Picture 
      He's lucky his balls don't itch.     

He's lucky his balls don't itch. I have a cure for that involving chilie peppers.

If ear candles don't work, you might want to try one of these:

http://buttcandle.com/index.cgi?op=F.A.Q.

Milk rots your brain.

methyl_ethyl
(Guardian)
11-10-04 02:21
No 540730
User Picture 
      RE: OMG     

It's irresponsible to suggest him this hocus-pocus stuff! Go to your doctor!!!

You are correct! I edited my previous post, and apologize for suggesting the use of ear candles.  I have never read anything about it but have experienced the procedure many times, and I swore that it worked wonders. (I am not easily swayed by homeopathic bullshit) 

I must admit I was ready to throw down a bunch of "unbiased" medical literature (i.e. literature that was not published by homeopathic wackjobs) that would support what I thought was a proven concept.  Unfortunately I was wrong, and found only literature that did not support my opinion on the procedure.

I accept all flames wholeheartedly,

methyl_ethyl

Xaja
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 02:35
No 540731
User Picture 
      Onion juice?!? Garlic?!? Candles?!?     

What happened to the serious science??

Jeez dude, just go to the friggin doctor already!!!

Antibiotics may bee becoming less effective due to bacteria pyramiding resistance genes on plasmids, but they are still your best weapon!!!

EDIT: unless its MRSA or VRSA, then you're fucked... frown

**FriedPiper**

methyl_ethyl
(Guardian)
11-10-04 03:40
No 540738
User Picture 
      Serious Science?     

What happened to the serious science??

Perhaps it may be found in forums other than the couch, but don't take my word for it.

The Couch

Politics, sex, fun stuff and other B.S

wink

m_e

Scooby_Doo
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 05:11
No 540747
      Another sure fire is 1 or 2 drops of propolis...     

Another sure fire is 1 or 2 drops of propolis followed by 5 or so drops of sweetish bitters, dripped straight into your ear in 5 mins your ear gets real warm and about 15-20 mins no more pain. Keep doing it until you feel ok probably 3 times a day to start with.

Got it from a health dude/Nazi when I had earache and blood coming form one of my ears. 24 hours after treating myself had to get on a plane and 36 hours went diving with no problems.

Propolis is what bees use to create a sterile environment for there larvae and Swedish bitters is a mixture of 14 or so herbs which start the healing real fast. Both should be at a good health food store. Maybe a little hard to find in the UK which loves to hate alternative health stuff.

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 17:25
No 540853
      i am stupid but....     

Lilienthal,
"It must be hard to live in such an uncivilized country without adequate health insurance"
damn right that why i don't want to wate $200 to have a doctor tell me clean my ear, am i still an idiot?
And how about moderating and rating cublium's post for accusing me of distributing a controlled substance? I know i'd get down-rated in a heartbeat so.....

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 17:43
No 540858
      oh yeah...     

"No person shall post anything which discusses ongoing or future illegal activity, or which can be construed as discussing ongoing or future illegal activity. A simple guideline for appropriate posts is to always keep them impersonal and timeless. "
so what this means nothing now?

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
11-10-04 17:47
No 540861
User Picture 
      Accusations are just accusations.     

Accusations are just accusations.

Milk rots your brain.

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 18:35
No 540873
      i guess     

i suppose but still come on, maybe if i did do it, maybe if i made thoasands fine. But come on! I honestly never did anything and its just.. bullshit. I was only trying desperatly to contribute somthing, back then. I read the fentanly disscussion on rhodium's page where i think drone suggested putting fentanly on blotter and i was really into research drugs at the time and i thought huh, maybe you could put 5-meo-amt on blotter. Then i thought i'd get 1 good rated post. Thats all. I was just trying to contribute and maybe get a pat on the back by some elder bee's. Reading all those old posts made me cringe, i sounded like a 2 year old. But shit if anything it made me realize how stupid i am, and made me get into schoolcrazy. I tried to get my old posts erased, no avail. All i can say is that i seriously doubt whoever did end up doing it, did not get their info from me. And sorry if they did. Like i said i was only trying to get a little pat on the back, thats it, and it pisses me off that with all the negetive things happening with research chems that my username would keep coming up as to blame for all the crap. So i think accusations are not right. What, so a bunch of people die from meth am i going to accuse someone on this site for making that meth, or "passing it off" as coke? No thats not right and should be stoped. People this is a very watched site the only reason i am comfortable saying this is becuase i have truley never done anything wrong so if the feds came a'knockin they would realize very quick i'm a poor stupid loser with a computer, and big (legal) intrest in drugs and thats it.

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
11-10-04 18:38
No 540874
User Picture 
      no one gives a fuck     

If the accusations aren't true, ignore them. The internet is annonymous, at least to the point that no one here knows or cares who you are and will never meet you. It's not like your real life self has been slandered. Let it go.

Milk rots your brain.

methyl_ethyl
(Guardian)
11-11-04 02:47
No 540955
User Picture 
      long time ago     

Damn, Dumbjanitor you don't get over things very quickly do you?  I assume you are talking about the whole AMT on blotter scandal.  I would not worry much about it, I think the only one that remembers those accusations is you.

In fact I had erased it from my memory until you brought it up. 

Are you still sick?

m_e

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-11-04 07:22
No 540981
      thanks for asking     

I got a doctors apointment in a week, but i'm pretty sure its just wax becuase the hearing impairment shifts from one ear to the other

hypo
(Balanced Ego)
11-11-04 07:50
No 540985
      erm yeah...     

> I think the only one that remembers those accusations is you.

well, that used to be the case until now.

HΨ=EΨ

wyndowlicker
(tourbee)
11-11-04 23:16
No 541110
User Picture 
      Earache&infections essential oils     

Hey now,

Id like to pass this along.Before I go on this could be an indication of perforated eardrum or infection and should get a formal medical diagnosis.

For ear infection:

Warm a teaspoon of olive oil and add to it 3 drops tea tree
1 drop thyme,Two drops lavender.Blend well.Then add to a cotton wool use this as an earplug.

Also use the following oil to message the ear area,up the neck,and across the cheekbone:

Tea tree   3 drops}
thyme      1 drop}  diluted in 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Lavender   2 drops}          
                     Vegetable oils:

hazelnut,grapeseed,
                     sweet almond,apricot kernel,avocado
                     pear oil,barage seed,carrot

These essentials also could be used for these problems:
Chamomile,Eucalyptus,Niaouli,Marjoram,Juniper.

Look to the oils.tongue

The bus came by,and I got on.Thats when it all began. -GD

All 34 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org