Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  2 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

Newbee Forum  

All 2 posts   Subject: Question on Oxone/NaBr bromination   Please login to post   Down

wolfx
(Hive Bee)
11-09-04 00:34
No 540517
User Picture 
      Question on Oxone/NaBr bromination     

SWIW is planning to run a bromination experiment on 1g of 2C-H, using the Oxone/NaBr in MeOH method.

Well, I found this :

"However, most commercial sources of oxone are composed of "buffer" mixtures (approximately 15% sodium carbonate, according to some information I found online)."

I know that the Oxone I have ( OTC source ) has a basic pH, I assume it is buffered. The pH of the reaction is basic, I think this should be OK, but I am concerned with the buffer ( sodium carbonate ? ) maybe reacting with the 2C-H or what else.

The Oxone seems OK : I run a small experiment, mixed a bit of Oxone and NaBr in MeOH, turned yellow, after washing with water, poured down my kitchen sink, it was smelling like iodine, but stronger, burning my nose, had to open water and leave kitchen for a while. Looks like the Oxone is OK, but not sure about the buffer.

Could someone please give me some help fast ?

Thanks,

W.

Vaaguh
(Hive Bee)
11-09-04 12:53
No 540633
User Picture 
      Oxone seems ok     

Your Oxone seems fine, altough bear in mind that brominating 2c-h freebase most likeley will not work, if your trials dont work you could try using a protonated environment using for example GAA as solvent.

Hippler

All 2 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org

Powdered by HONEySTY(TM) v.2.07.1 alpha, (C) 2014, Gross & Bunt United Europe

Links     Erowid     Rhodium

PIHKAL     TIHKAL     Total Synthesis II

Date: 04-29-24, Release: 1.6 (10-04-15), Links: static, unique