Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  2 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

The Couch  

All 6 posts   Subject: Goodbye, Ashcroft!   Please login to post   Thread expires   Down

Jade
(soccer mom)
11-10-04 05:02
No 540745
User Picture 
      Goodbye, Ashcroft!     

Ashcroft, Evans Resign, White House Says

Tue Nov 9, 6:05 PM ET   Politics - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Donald Evans resigned on Tuesday in a post-election shake-up of President Bush's Cabinet.

Ashcroft, a lightning rod of criticism by Democrats and civil liberties groups over the anti-terror policies implemented after Sept. 11, 2001, said in a handwritten resignation letter that "the demands of justice are both rewarding and depleting" and that the Justice Department would be well served "by new leadership and fresh inspiration."

Evans, considered Bush's best friend, said "I have concluded with deep regret that it is time for me to return home."

"The president accepted their resignations," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Ashcroft and Evans began what is expected to be a fairly significant Cabinet reshuffle ahead of the start of Bush's second term on Jan. 20.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson, who had earlier indicated he was planning on leaving after the first Bush term, said on Tuesday: "I'm waiting to talk to the president and I will let you know my decision very shortly."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/nm/20041109/pl_nm/bush_cabinet_dc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adios Ashcroft & Evans
...And thanks for nothing.

Both Attorney-General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Donald Evans (were booted?)resigned just moments ago.

And they were so darn effective! What a shame that, like Fallujah (where at least 16 American troops have been killed in the last 48 hours), this terrible news just happened to break after the election! What luck!

UPDATE: In related news...in case you didn't notice...The "Orange" security alert in both D.C. and NYC was lowered back to "Yellow" for the first time the day after the election and today pedestrian traffic was once again re-opened on Pennsylvania Ave. in front of the White House. The timing for all of these events should continue to not be noticed in any way. Thank you.

UPDATE: Looks like Ashcroft submitted his resignation on Nov. 2. Election Day. But, always in the service of politicizing justice, he remarked in his resignation letter:

It would be my pleasure to structure the announcement of this resignation and the ensuing transition in conjunction with you so that your administration and the cause of justice are served optimally.

I have handwritten this letter so its confidentiality can be maintained until the appropriate arrangements mentioned above can be made.

But rest easy! He also informed the "President-Elect":

The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved."

Phew! Thank you Mr. A-G!

And now, ladies and gentlemen, for (hopefully) the last time...The Attorney General sings.

http://www.bradfriedman.com/BradBlog/

There's a terrorist behind every Bush.

buz
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 14:38
No 540829
      what about the statue?     

does this mean the statue can have it's breast exposed again?

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 17:36
No 540856
      BYE BYE!     

Has there been anyone that has done more damage to america's civil liberties then john ashcroft? Is the patriot act 2 going to go through now? Seriously i hope the fucker dies in the most painfull way possibal. That guy was a living breathing censor bar. I was dreading four more years of ashcroft then bush anyways. So, is rumsfeld next?

Unobtainium
(Minister of Propaganda)
11-10-04 17:46
No 540860
User Picture 
      You'll be wishing Ashcroft kept his job pretty     

You'll be wishing Ashcroft kept his job pretty soon. Post 540850 (Unobtainium: "as predicted", The Couch)

Milk rots your brain.

MargaretThatcher
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 18:52
No 540875
User Picture 
      Supreme Court     

Isn't Bush lining him up for appointment as a Supreme Court Justice? That would be nice. He wants to sing 'Let the Eagles Soar' to the guilty, but only in extreme cases where the death penalty alone does not suffice.

Are you, or have you ever been a Liberal? YES / NO

dumbjanitor
(Hive Bee)
11-10-04 19:19
No 540881
      he's dying     

I heard on national public radio that his health is decling and he has been hospitalized recently for a while

All 6 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org