Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

Serious Chemistry Thread:   Previous  Forum index  Next

All 4 posts   Subject: industrial scale propylbenzene oxidation?   Please login to post   Down

indole_amine
(Hive Bee)
10-29-04 01:25
No 538407
User Picture 
      industrial scale propylbenzene oxidation?     

I don't know if this can be used for anything besides continuous acetophenone production at the multiple kilo stage: but if this is the case, I bet Orgy would *love* it...wink

The Effect of Dehydration in the Oxidation of Ethylbenzene to Acetophenone with Supported Catalysts
(Simon T. Man, Colin Ramshaw, Keith Scott, James Clark, D. J. Macquarrie, and Roshan Jachuck)
Org. Proc. Res. Dev., 5 (3), 204 -210, 2001

Abstract:
The influence of the product water formed in the catalytic oxidation of ethylbenzene to acetophenone using air in a batch reactor was studied. The water adsorbed in the hydrophilic catalyst supports, that is, alumina or silica, has a significant negative effect on the oxidation processes. The application of a dehydration unit in the catalytic oxidation of ethylbenzene with air in a batch reactor was studied using sulphuric acid, molecular sieves, and silica gel as dehydrants. Processes were developed to use the dehydration unit to dehydrate the condensed product, from a Dean Stark trap, and the reaction mixture. Experimental results confirmed that an improvement in reaction performance was achieved using the dehydration unit to decrease the water concentration in the reaction mixture below its saturation solubility. The effect of a continuous increase in the temperature of the oxidation process, compared to isothermal operation, is shown to improve the oxidation performance.

indole_amine

psychokitty
(«»)
10-29-04 01:53
No 538413
      Shouldn't it be propylbenzene instead of ...     

Shouldn't it be propylbenzene instead of propenylbenzene?

indole_amine
(Hive Bee)
10-29-04 01:56
No 538414
User Picture 
      oops     

blush - was edited to propylbenzene now...

(although I don't know if propylbenzene would be oxidized at the right carbon..)

indole_amine

psychokitty
(«»)
10-30-04 01:50
No 538662
      Propylbenzene forms propiophenone     

As I understand it, acylophenones are the products of benzyl carbon oxidations of alkylbenzenes.

This reaction can also be performed with a 50:50 mixture of potassium permanganate/cupric sulfate pentahydrate in refluxing DCM, if I remember correctly.

All 4 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org