Main Index   Search   Register   Login   Who's Online   FAQ   Links
  1 Online, 0 Active   You are not logged in  
Main Index     The HIVE light edition (TM)
This is a historical archive
The forum is read-only. Private information has been removed. It is not possible to login.

General Discourse Thread:   Previous  Forum index  Next

All 18 posts   Subject: New Book by The Good Dr. Shulgin...   Please login to post   Down

ClearLight
(Hive Addict)
10-03-02 19:14
No 363818
      New Book by The Good Dr. Shulgin...     

The Good Dr. Shulgin has a new book out... It's a compedium, not like t/phikal...

Here's what is said on the back cover:

An alphabetical listing of the common NAMES of all simple isoquinolines, with immediate access to their structures, the plants that contain them, and a leading reference.

A searchable listing of the STRUCTURES of all simple isoquinolines, with immediate access to their common names, the plants that contain them, and a leading reference.

An alphabetical listing of the names of PLANTS that contain simple isoquinolines, with immediate access to their names and structures, and a leading reference.

If you have only the structure or the common name of the compound, or the name of the plant, with this book you can assemble the following information in twenty seconds:

Structure: [image]
Name: N-Methylushinsunine
Plant: Elmerrillia papuana
Family: Magnoliaceae
Reference: Australian J. Chem. 29, 2003 (1976)

The Simple Plant Isoquinolines

Author(s) : Alexander Shulgin & Wendy Perry
Pages : 624
Pub Date : 2002
Publisher : Transform Press
ISBN : 0-9630096-2-1

about $40.00

Nice way to support his ongoing work is to buy the book...about $40.00.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books/isoquinolines.shtml

for a picture...

Infinite Radiant Light - THKRA

weedar
(Verbose Viking)
10-03-02 19:18
No 363820
      So...     

will it bee any fun then? Seeing as it's different from
PIHKAL/TIHKAL..

Weedar

Save the Temporary Couch! And whales.

ClearLight
(Hive Addict)
10-03-02 19:26
No 363824
      No joy...     

But a great way to make an "offering" to one who has given so much for free...

Infinite Radiant Light - THKRA

weedar
(Verbose Viking)
10-03-02 19:30
No 363826
      I'll buy it..     

But only for the value of having all three drug books, I
have no real interest in the book he published before
PIHKAL..

But it makes me think, if another work like PIHKAL/TIHKAL
was to bee written, what would it bee about?

Weedar

Rhodium
(Chief Bee)
10-03-02 19:49
No 363834
User Picture 
      It will be about "all the other"     

It will be about "all the other" psychoactives. I have already contributed to his quest of collecting the unknown pharmacology of unknown compounds... smile

weedar
(Verbose Viking)
10-03-02 21:10
No 363870
      Oh?     

Seems like young Mr.Rhodium has contributed to a book..
When will it come out?smile

Oh, I'd love to hear what Shulgin has to say about this
message board, your site and some of the bees here..smile

Weedar

Rhodium
(Chief Bee)
10-03-02 21:27
No 363882
User Picture 
      I have contributed to several publications in ...     

I have contributed to several publications in three languages, and this far been referenced in at least three journal articles - not bad for an undergrad. wink

I don't know when the good Dr. will finish that book. He has worked on it for the last five years...

weedar
(Verbose Viking)
10-03-02 21:31
No 363884
      Are these "secret"     

or can you tell which publications?

This is probably not a "nice" thing to say, but I've been
afraid of the old doctor passing away before he finishes the
book your talking about..frown

Can you give us a hint of what it'll bee about?Sorry, I've
been really curious the entire day, you'll have to forgive me.

Weedar

Rhodium
(Chief Bee)
10-03-02 21:54
No 363890
User Picture 
      Books     

No, some may be unwise for me to mention, but you know of my chapter in TSII, don't you?

I don't have an outline of Sasha's forthcoming book, but I know it will cover other psychoactives than psychedelics.

weedar
(Verbose Viking)
10-03-02 21:58
No 363893
      Of course...     

TSII is one of my favorite books, because what it "stands
for" more than it's contents, but it's a great read.

So the book will cover opiates and stimulants as well?

I'm off to find the new Shulgin book.

Weedar

Rhodium
(Chief Bee)
11-05-04 19:34
No 539876
User Picture 
      Review: The Simple Plant Isoquinolines
(Rated as: good read)

Reviewed Book:
The Simple Plant Isoquinolines
Alexander T. Shulgin and Wendy E. Perry
Transform Press, 2002, xxxv+624 pp.,
Hardback, ISBN: 0-9630096-2-1, $40.00

Reviewed By:
Satyajit D. Sarker
Reviewed In:
Phytochemistry, Vol. 63(5), 631-632 (2003)
DOI:10.1016/S0031-9422(03)00186-9

The title The Simple Plant Isoquinolines will certainly draw immediate attention of anybody working in the area of natural products, especially plant alkaloids. Considering the recent resurgence of interest in phytochemical research, both in academia and industries, the timing for publication of this book is absolutely perfect. The authors' excellent effort in compiling all the names, structures and sources of simple plant isoquinolines in a single easy-to-use volume must be appreciated greatly.

This book consists of mainly introduction, trivial name index, structural index and taxon index. The introduction focuses generally on the nomenclature and numbering of plant alkaloids, and chemical relationships among various isoquinoline alkaloids. However, in my opinion, the introduction lacks in some fundamental details regarding biosynthetic origin of these plant secondary alkaloids and can hardly be described as ‘adequate'. It would have been useful if the authors had discussed the chemistry of these isoquinolines in the light of possible biosynthetic pathways. A brief discussion on chemotaxonomic implication and biological properties of these plant isoquinolines would also add enormous value to and wider acceptance of this book.

While the trivial name index provides a comprehensive alphabetical listing of plant isoquinoline alkaloids with immediate access to their structures, botanical sources and appropriate references, the structural index includes the structures of all these compounds. Structures of these compounds are intelligently presented under various structural classes, e.g. unsubstituted, monosubstituted, 6,7-HO, HO-substituted, 6,7-HO, MeO-substituted, 6,7-MeO, HO-substituted, 6,7-MeO, MeO-substituted, 6,7-MDO-substituted, 7,8-HO, HO-substituted, 7,8-MeO, HO-substituted, 7,8-MeO, MeO-substituted, 5,6,7-HO, MeO, HO-substituted, 5,6,7-MeO, MeO, HO-substituted, 5,6,7-HO, MeO, MeO-substituted, 5,6,7-MeO, MeO, MeO-substituted, 5,6,7- MeO, MDO-substituted, etc. This kind of classification is rather artificial, but it seems to have worked out quite well. The authors have used ‘R’ or ‘S’ within some of the structures to describe the stereochemistry of the chiral centre (s), but it has not been followed consistently for all structures.

The taxon index presents a complete and valuable listing of botanical sources of the isoquinoline alkaloids. However, the information presented in this index could easily be transformed into a more visual distribution table. In addition to these major sections, there are also a plant families appendix which categorises all genera according to their families, an appendix on isobenzofuranone nomenclature and a journal names appendix which provides the full name of journals used in the cited references in abbreviated forms.

Looking at the title, one might expect this book to provide an insight into the biosynthesis, occurrence, chemistry, structures and biological activities of various isoquinoline alkaloids, but obviously that is not the case. The information compiled in this book is not that different from the information one can easily obtain from the readily available Dictionary of Natural Products (DNP) CD-ROM or Combined Dictionary of Organic Compounds. Despite these limitations, this book is presented superbly with all necessary and correct names and structures of isoquinolines; it is reasonably priced and user-friendly. This book undoubtedly stands out in its own merit as an affordable and cheaper alternative to DNP for accessing information on isolquinoline alkaloids, and can be recommended as a reliable reference source for any scientist dealing with phytochemicals, and particularly, isoquinoline alkaloids.

The Hive - Clandestine Chemists Without Borders

sushitake
(Hive Bee)
11-05-04 22:02
No 539907
      pukateine     

I like this book alot. I learned of the compound pukateine from reading into this book, and actually found a supplier of the host plant. Interesting stuff. a mild stimulant alone. When I consumed pukatea extract with DXM however the stimulation was greatly enhanced. pukatea and DXM together seem to enhance the paranoia potential. I look at isoquinolines now as a sort of intermediate of the phenyl. trypt. opiate type compounds. Many chinese medicinals contain these compounds, the layout of the book makes for some easy referencing. One of my major motivations is to find a source plant rich in salutaridine. I am interested in learning if salutaridine can be converted to morphine by the human metabolism as it is done is plant physiology.I have heard that Shulgin is working on a sorts of psychedelic compound encyclopedia before releasing his "third" book that the isoquinoline reference was to be adjunct to.

opiophile

nuke
(Stranger)
11-07-04 23:30
No 540267
      re: weedar     

Shulgin would doubtfully do a book on opiates or stimulants, as he seems to have some contempt for chemicals that seem masturbatorily euphoric.

The next book will probably be work on mildly psychoactive though intellectually and psychotherapeutically stimulating compounds.

Captain_America
(Über-Führer die Ironie)
11-07-04 23:45
No 540268
      It will be about "all the other"...     

It will be about "all the other" psychoactives. I have already contributed to his quest of collecting the unknown pharmacology of unknown compounds...

Unknown pharmacology of what unknown compounds?

http://www.junkmusik.com/junkvideo.mov

nuke
(Stranger)
11-08-04 02:41
No 540314
      I have no idea really.     

I have no idea really. ;)  I haven't seen anything detailing the families of chemicals he is now working on aside from this book.  He's referred to the newer stuff he's been busy with as "antidepressants".

I'm not saying that might not be opiate/amphetamine/etc derivative, but the psychoactivity of these substances probably won't be something along the lines of most of the recreational substances we know well from these groups.

Shulgin has been calling his new stuff "antidepressants" as opposed to psychedelics, and he's been vocal about his dislike for chemicals like cannabinoids, addictive stimulants like meth, and addictive opiates like heroin.

Grouping stimulants into my previous post was a bad thing because a whole lot of chemicals are.  I'm not sure if he'd really be very interested in opiates though, because those receptor groups have already been pretty well explored.

I apologize though, and will say, "I probably don't know what he's working on."  All I really meant with the previous post was that it's probably not super-meth or super-heroin, or very heavily mind altering.

paranoid
(Quick-witted Quibbler)
11-08-04 02:43
No 540315
User Picture 
      Uhh... the unknown ones - i.e.     

Uhh... the unknown ones - i.e. yet to be separated and identified, but may possibly have a yet unestablished psychoactive effect.

My ideal vacation - Juxtaposed along the precipice intersecting reality and fantasy (i.e. wanking).

sushitake
(Hive Bee)
11-09-04 13:06
No 540634
      just getting started     

opioid resaerch is just getting started, I personally would like to keep my opiate health in the scope of things as far as future research is concerned. When you look at brain functions, and throw a drug in there many neuroreceptors can come into play. take the meshed opiate/dopamine receptors in the mesolimbic system, paradoxical stimulation, euphoria, insight, entheogenic activity is most definiteley attributed to the opiate and dopamine receptors, not just the serotonin system. ever heard of serotonin syndrome? I would be praying to the opio goddesses/gods(NYX,MORPHEUS) to relieve me of that headache! tryptophan metabolites can cause organic brain damage. Zen and the Brain by Idaho resident James H Austin discusses all of this and more.........

opiophile

wimpy
(Hive Bee)
11-09-04 18:39
No 540679
      too tall order     

I like this book, too. What i miss is a description of the pharmakological effects of each of those substances. Of course i know that's a much too tall order, one can't expect one to test all of these just to write a book, but it would enhance the usability for non-chemists greatly to know more about that. On most of these it's most likely impossible to find information, so it's probably too dangerous to test them by one self ... :) well, yes, recherche required, like every time

- Beware of the Morphail Effect! -

All 18 posts   End of thread   Top

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org    the-hive@erowid.org